Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Can't Conform

I know in this world they like to tell us to avoid usage of the word can't. In this case it perfectly describes how I feel so I will use it. I can't conform! I tried and I died. Yes, I died and not just a little but a lot on the inside. I lost everything I gained while working towards my goal of being content with my true self and here I am starting all over again. I will like to commend myself for making it out of the storm. To be honest while spinning through it there were too many times I thought I wouldn't be revived and I just wanted to give up and remain in my slumped state forever. After months of battle I finally came to the conclusion that I wasn't made to be unhappy or foolishly give up. My life was made for learning, free expression, soul searching (this falls under learning..doesn't it?) and exploring all of the other beauties of life. I wasn't made to settle or remain stationary. The most important thing is doing what I love and I love so many things it's hard for me to thrive in this society. When I look at a picture of life I feel people are encouraged to focus on a a specific subject they are wholly passionate about and when it comes to something on the opposite end of the spectrum they must go out of their way and sacrifice many things just to pursue those interests. I am not saying I have a problem with adding extra umph into my drive but I am saying why would it be so difficult to major in Chemistry,Environmental Science, Economics,International Studies and another major I am interested in. Why are Business, Arts and Sciences and Engineering schools separated? Why can't we take classes in all departments freely? When do we get the chance to talk to each and share ideas from our majors? We are separated by so many little things and we don't even realize how huge of an impact it has on our mental horizons. I can only be happy being myself and not trying to fit a mold that will leave everyone around me comfortable. The only choice they have at this point is to accept me for who I am and if they can't, that is very negative on their part and will only affect their growth. With that being said, here I come :).

No comments:

Post a Comment